Please refer to the following information when considering a referral to SKiP:
● Less than 18 years of age
● Has been experiencing persistent pain for over 3 months
● Medical investigations have ruled out red flags
● No major behavioural issues – e.g. aggression
● No major mental health issues (child and caregiver) e.g. high distress, safety issues
● Functional mobility and communication – program involves learning, group discussions and physical activities
● Independent in self-care
- Be ready to make changes to their current situation
- Be open to non-pharmacological approaches i.e. self-management
- Be willing to commit and support their child through the program
- Have identified problems with their child’s functioning e.g. difficulties in school, daily activities, poor sleep, avoidance of movement and exercise.
- Have identified problems with their child’s mood e.g. sadness, irritability, withdrawal
- Have the ability to travel to a SKiP venue if receiving services in-person (suburb of Tarragindi)
- Have access to reliable internet, a computer/device, camera and speaker if receiving services via telehealth.
Information Kit for Referrers
If you think your patient would be a suitable candidate for the program, please complete the referral form, attach relevant supporting information and provide your patient with a SKiP Information Sheet and Programs Calendar. We have also developed an Information Sheet with FAQs to assist in your promotion.
Referrals to our Brisbane programs are accepted via the following methods:
Fax: (07) 3262 4943
Post: PO Box 3045, South Brisbane BC QLD 4101.
Please address all referrals to Dr. Kathleen Cooke, Director, Support Kids in Pain.
Acceptable referral sources include:
● Public or Private Paediatrician/ Paediatrician Sub-Specialist
● Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital, Persistent Pain Service
● General Practitioner (GP)
If a specialist referral is supplied, we will request further information from a GP.
After participating in the SKiP program, each child will be given a pain management plan to implement at home with the support of their GP.
More information about the Program can also be found here: How to join a SKiP Program